Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Back on Track: Quickest Mushroom-Barley Soup

As you are aware- I am sucking it up in the blog world- but what you don't know is that I am also sucking in real life.  You would be amazed at how much I am losing at life these days.  For example- this soup:

Failed.  Massive failure.

It sounded like a good idea at the time. 

It smelled good, and all the ingredients seemed good, but Chris and I could hardly get our dinners down, and the leftovers went down the disposal.  I don't know what to tell you- except- please don't make this.

Quickest Mushroom-Barley Soup
adapted from Everyday Food (Oct. 2008)

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (I used button mushrooms)
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (I used homemade)
  • 1 cup quick-cooking barley (Or regular barley cooked and then added to the soup)
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 chunk (1 ounce) Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler (we used shredded)

Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, 6 to 8 minutes. 
  2. Add broth and 2 cups water to pan; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to a simmer; add barley, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. (Or add cooked barley from another pot.) Remove soup from heat; stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve garnished with Parmesan.

2 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

I have had more of these moments over the past few weeks than I care to admit. You and me both, honey.

Adie said...

I think it is Spring fever and the cruel , cruel weather of Colorado. You will get your groove back!