Tuesday, March 9, 2010

House Tour: Fire in the Kitchen

Our cousin Kurt (yep- our cousin . . . long story) is in town for work and he stopped by last night for a little visit.  As we showed him the house, Chris and Kurt lighted several matchbooks on fire in the wood burning stove- because well, that is what you do when Kurt is around.  So Kurt, this one is for you.  Thanks for coming to visit.

Two days after we moved in, Chris accidentally started a fire in the kitchen.

I am not joking.

A real, smoky, burning, dangerous fire.

Luckily, he started it in the toaster oven and the fire politely stayed there until it ran out of air and died.

But it was an exciting 2 minutes while we watched and considered our options  .. . "Do we open the door to put it out with a fire extinguisher?" "Where is the fire extinguisher?"  "Do we have a fire extinguisher?" (Yes- two in the kitchen actually- thank you previous owners!) "What do you put on grease fires?" "Baking soda? Flour?" "Should we unplug the toaster?"

While we were deciding what to do- the fire died down leaving me with this:

A charred toaster oven and a smokey wall.

In our new-to-us house!  Seriously.  How ironic would it be if we moved into a house and then burned it down two days later?

Not good is what it would be.

My mother heard about our fire and got Chris a new Toaster Oven for Christmas (Thanks Mom and Dad!)  I was unable to wash the smoke off the wall so I just covered it with a little paint.  Good as new.
But Chris' toaster oven privileges have been severely restricted.

14 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

I have done this same thing! It's always a bit exciting until it dies! I always wonder if they could get worse, though!

Sorry about the wall:(

Emily said...

Lol, I'm glad it died out on it's own. And your new toaster oven is pretty!

Della said...

Our cousin? I want to hear that story!

Hilary Lane said...

Hahaha, my roommate in college had a toaster oven that had a messed up coil. It had melted (if that's possible) and dangled super close to the bottom of the oven. She told me that if it ever broke/dropped that it would probably catch on fire. Needless to say, I didn't use the TO much! I'm glad your brand new house didn't burn down!

Hilary Lane said...

Oh, and PS. My mom forwarded this "informative" email to me the other day. Apparently in case of a grease fire, you are to turn the burner off, grab a dishcloth, run it under water, and throw it over the pot/pan. It should suffocate itself. Then grab the flour! If that still doesn't work, I think you're in trouble!

Kayla said...

Haha o boy.... Glad everything's ok, sounds like something I've done... Though it was a toaster and it wasn't me, it was my roommate! On another note, what's this about "our" cousin? I need to hear this!

Lucy Marie said...

Please explain to me this 'our' cousin business, kay? Thanks ...

Also, I am so glad your house is still standing. Keep that boy AWAY from all electrical appliances!!

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

I'm so glad that it was only a minor fire -- I have heard toaster ovens being tricky like this!

My name is PJ. said...

Back in the 1970's, when my father was on vacation with the younger siblings, 6 of us teenagers lived in the house for 6 weeks.

One of us created a fire in the toaster.....like yours, it was a real fire.

The culprit actually yelled, "Fire in the toaster!" and I brought salt to the rescue. It worked!!

Emily said...

Oh man...that could've been bad!!

Rae said...

Even "little" fires scare me when they are not where they should be. I am glad everything was fine.

And I join in with all the other requests to share the "our" cousin story!

Em said...

I think it's hilarious that you revoked Chris' toaster privileges. :)

Aubrey said...

Those privileges deserve to be restricted.

Adie said...

I am glad everything is okay and there was not any damage to your new beautiful house!