Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lucy's Chili

I have failed the menu planning.  In order for menu planning to work- you you must go grocery shopping during the weekly sale. I did not.  Our stores switch sales on Wednesdays.  When I made the menu this weekend, I knew I would only be able to go on Tuesday afternoon, but when that didn't happen . . . well, the menu plan was pretty much useless.

Enter- new game plan.  A good opportunity to practice being flexible.  (Which I am not.  I dislike change.)
Instead of making a meal, I had to pull a meal out of the freezer and wait to make a new menu plan with this week's flyer.  I might be able to keep the old menu acutally, some of the same stuff appears to be on sale.  I think.  It has been a crazy two days.

Anyway, the meal I took out of the freezer was Lucy Marie's Famous Chili.  SnoWhite has raved about it.  And now I must concur- this is amazing chili.  And I don't even like chili!

One thing I did differently was add shredded carrots instead of diced carrots.  I had 2 cups of frozen shredded carrots that were begging to be used in something besides Carrot Cake.  The carrots give the chili a mild sweetness throughout.  mmm, consistently sweet.  and a little bit spicy.  Yum.  


Lucy's Chili
adapted from Lucy Marie

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb ground meat (I used turkey)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2-3 medium bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 large carrots, chopped (Or 2 Cups shredded!)
  • 1 C frozen green beans
  • 2 cans beans (any combo - I used black and pinto)
  • 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
  • 1 heaping tbsp chili powder 
  • Dash salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
Directions
1. Brown meat with onion and garlic in a large stockpot until meat is no longer pink. Drain, if necessary.
2. Add veggies and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, ketchup, brown sugar and spices.
4. Simmer on medium-low for as long as you like. Lucy usually make this in the morning and lets it simmer all day.  I let is simmer for a couple of hours.  It is really good.  

5 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Glad you liked it!

Della said...

My mom used to do these amazing menu plans for the week, she would do them Sunday evening while we children went to Awana's. I'm not sure I could stick to a plan- I'm more of a eat icecream and waffles all day long kind of girl.

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

Awesome idea with the shredded carrots! this is a must-have on our menu again soon.

My name is PJ. said...

I love chili! My new fave is white chicken chili.....I might have to send you the recipe if I can get it from The Source. It's great and it's quick to make.

53 candles baby! I wouldn't be 35 again if you gave me all the money in the world. I wouldn't go backwards one day.

Life begins at 40 and just gets better. Honest.

Adie said...

Great idea with the carrots! Root veggies give such a nice flavor but my husband hates - I mean dislikes cooked carrots. Looks yummy!