Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cheesy Biscuits

Unfortunately, my failures don't end with the soup.  The same night I made soup, I also made these beautiful biscuits.

I am not sure what went wrong, usually SnoWhite's dishes are amazing.  But these biscuits taste odd.  Weird.  Not really all that edible.  And that is saying something for a family that loves both bread and cheese.

Cheesy Biscuits
from Finding Joy in My Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 1 C flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt (I did not add the salt because I didn't think we needed it- but maybe that would have made the difference)
  • 1/2 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 + 1/8 C milk
  • half of a 1/3 C olive oil
Directions

1. Mix together flour and baking powder.
2. Add in the shredded cheese and stir to coat.
3. Mix in the oil and milk until batter is moist.
4. Grease a cookie sheet and then drop biscuits by the teaspoonful (makes about 12 biscuits (I got about 18) onto the cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes, until biscuits are lightly browned.

Sigh.  Maybe things will come around soon.

8 comments:

Emily said...

See, the thing is, you actually tried to make homemade biscuits. When Baird wants biscuits I pull out the Bisquick and dump some cheddar cheese shreds in there.

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

I'm sorry yours didn't turn out! I thought they tasted like cheese-its... but they certainly need the salt.

Not only does salt add flavor, it helps them dough form. It makes the breads crumbly and helps it rise when reacting with the baking soda. Bread without salt is pretty much inedible.

Hillary (First Yr Wife) said...

Aww, too bad. I hate when I spend time and energy cooking and then it's a flop! :(

Heather said...

Next time my hubby visits you, have him teach you his biscuit recipe. Yummy. I'm a blessed woman.

Kayla said...

well they sure look delicious and the name sounds delicious!!

Rebecca Lynn said...

Have you ever tried the Red Lobster cheddar biscuit recipe? It's the BEST and you can find it online. I can only imagine the disappointment. I really dislike when new things don't work out, or worse, when I've made something successfully once and then the second time it's inedible. All trial and error I guess. If it makes you feel any better our washing machine broke today. I guess there's something in the air for bad luck.

My name is PJ. said...

Here's just one of the things we love about you, Taryn: the biscuits weren't all that edible, but you shared the recipe and told us about it!

Happy Easter!! Have a glorious weekend!!

Meghan said...

I'd try butter instead of olive oil next time...and use the salt.