Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Home Tour: Entry (Phase 2)

I did it.  I found a bench that meets all of my criteria!

Remember my mirror?  It has sat on the floor in the entry since we bought it back in January.
I have been looking for a bench or table of some sort to go under the mirror with these criteria:

1. Be sturdy.
2. Be cheap.
3. Be longer than the mirror- over 60 inches.  Do you know how hard it is to find a bench over 5 feet long?  Neither did I until I started to look.

Preferences
4. Be paint-able. (Because chances are if it is #2 it is going to need to be painted.)
5. Have storage capabilities. Such as this one:
 image from Potterybarn.com  

For the past 3 months I was unable to find what I was looking for- despite looking bi-weekly at the various thrift stores around town.  And in the end, thrift stores would have been a rip off anyway. . .   Last week I saw a estate sale sign while driving Chris to work.  On my way home, I drove down the long and winding road until I came to the sale.

Jackpot baby.

Not only did I find an old garbage can for composting in for a buck, but I found this:
The entryway bench of my dreams.

Well, almost.  I am thinking about painting the pink to a nice beige.  And distressing the heck out of it.

Look at how many criteria it meets:
1. It is very sturdy- made of heavy wood. 
3. It is over 60 inches- almost 80 inches in fact!

4. Definitely paint-able. (I was right about needing to be painted, huh?)
5. And it has storage spaces! Although the bench is skinnier (only 9 inches wide) than I would have ideally liked it, it is a keeper.  Besides, as my in-laws pointed out, this one is so skinny it won't stick out from the wall too far and cause a shin bruise hazard.  Nice. 

What about criteria number 2, you ask?  Well, it was cheap.  Real cheap.

Care to take a guess?

No?  You sure?

Oh well, it was a fun game for Chris and I.

The bench was a whopping $2.

I know.  It really set us back.

I am so excited to get it painted and get the mirror hung on the wall!

7 comments:

Kayla said...

Wow, way to go! I love a nice deal when I can find one! Great job! And why not keep it pink huh? Adds a bit of color to the mix... haha Totally kidding :-)

*claire* said...

wow! what a great deal!! haha you don't want to keep it pink???

Emily said...

I can't believe how perfectly it seems to fit in the nook! And I really can't imagine why you'd want to paint it, if only you'd kept some sea turtles around you could have quite the house! :)

My name is PJ. said...

That's like discovering buried treasure!!

It pays to be patient.

It pays to be resourceful.

It really pays to be lucky.

Lucy Marie said...

Awesome deal. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

How exciting! I'm looking for something just like it to go under out new window in the addition we are building. I want the lined baskets to slide into it for homeschooling supplies. I hope I get just as lucky yard-saling this year!

Thanks for entering in my give-away!

Adie said...

Awesome!! You should start a business. Like that show American Picker but for useful stuff!