Monday, April 12, 2010

Homemade Pie Crust




This weekend we made the quiche from my menu plan and I thought of homemade pie crust.  I wish I had made some.  Store bought just isn't as good.  However, before I learned the proper way to make pie crusts, I made several disasters.  One literally had the consistency of graham cracker crust.  

Luckily, my good friend offered to help me make a crust so I could see how to do it.  I have not tried to make my own since her help, but her crust was divine. 

Her instructions and advice are found below. 

Homemade Standard Pastry Crust
from family friend

Ingredients
  • 2/3 Cup plus 2 Tbsp shortening or lard (or butter)
  • 2 Cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4-5 Tbsp cold water
Directions

1. Mix flour and salt.
2.Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are pea sized.
3. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of water on dough and toss the dough with a fork.  Continue adding water until all the flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl.
4. Divide dough into two even pieces.
5. Gather dough into a ball; and shape into pie crust between parchment paper (or nifty pie things) with a rolling pin.  (Try not overwork the dough- then it won't taste as good.)
6. Try to use the crust as soon as possible.  I am not sure what happens if you don't, but Candice says its bad.

Good luck.

6 comments:

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

Awesome -- I love that pie rolling thing! Where does one find that?!

Lucy Marie said...

I have never seen that pie rolling thing - how neat! I love homemade pastry ... it is SO much better than store bought!

My name is PJ. said...

The last two sentences were my favorite. Is that awful? Can you tell I don't cook? But I do so enjoy reading about when others cook!!!

Thankyouabba said...

There is a secret to make your crust even better than hers! You divide the butter in half. First, you cut in the first half of the butter until it is the size of coarse corn meal, then the second half you work in until it is the size of large peas.
Also, if you work quickly you can use it right away. I use mine right away for my quiches and my pot pies. If you want my recipe for pie crust, it comes from a 1950 Betty Crocker CookBook, let me know, I will send it to you. nnb1978@charter.net.

Thankyouabba said...

I forgot to tell you why you do the butter in two stages. One will cause it to be flaky and the other will cause it to be tender. So, you want to do the big and small bits of butter. It really works, too!

nilanjana majumdar said...

I saw your title on someone else’s sidebar and had to follow my internet nose over here. The recipe looks easy, this may be my cheat food this weekend! Thanks!