Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Home Tour: Makeshift Hutch

As I sit here writing this avoiding packing for our short trip to New Mexico I realized something rather exciting . . . something magical has happened.  


My first posts about our new house were rightly titled "House Tour."


However, my last one, about the pink bench, was different.  Without thinking, I titled it "Home Tour."

I guess our new house has turned into our new home.  how.cool.

Anyway, I have one more thing to share- the last thing my parents brought with them from MN at Thanksgiving was this green dresser.

Pretty sweet, no?  It was at our cabin for many years, but now my childhood dresser is here  to live in Colorado for awhile.

I secretly love the dresser just for the its smell.  When you open the drawers it smells just like my childhood family cabin (weirdly- the cabin has a very distinctive smell- a bit of a musty fragrance- but I love it).

Right now it is in the dining room serving as a makeshift hutch.  We have all the linens (place mats and napkins) in the drawers.  I have thought about repainting, but the color is actually pretty good for the room.  Plus, it is naturally distressed- which I find to have more character than when I try to distress furniture. What do you think?

Thanks Mom and Dad- you guys are the best.

(We are going to NM for a long weekend to see Chris' grandparents.  I won't have my computer- so- see you next week!)

8 comments:

Kristen said...

I think it looks fabulous! Enjoy your trip!

Hilary Lane said...

Cute! I love it!

Meredith said...

LOVE THAT!

Danielle said...

love it! so cute!

My name is PJ. said...

I actually love that color, Taryn and the little imperfections in the finish! It speaks of a family's history. Perfect!

Lucy Marie said...

I think it looks awesome just the way it is! Have a great trip.

Adie said...

I love the "hutch"! I may start inviting your parents for holidays if they bring furniture and fix things! It's the way of the mid-west. When my grandfather was alive I just had to mention something and he would be over the next day with the parts fixing whatever it was. Have a great time in NM!

Lindsey said...

LOVE IT!!