Monday, April 5, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

I am going to try again- a new approach.  I am struggling to do a weekly or even a bi-weekly list- so instead, I just created a long list of meals that correspond with last week's sales and what we have in our pantry and freezer.

Whenever we come close to finishing this list, I will make another list.  Hopefully it will fall close to a Monday, but if not, oh well.  Menu Planning Thursday will work too- i just isn't nearly as catchy. . .

Meals:

  • Lasagna Primavera (Made and frozen in the freezer for a day when we need something easy) (Everyday Food)
  • Pasta with Chicken, Raisins and Almonds (I will abandon the almonds) (Everyday Food)
  • Vegetable Quesadillas with Corn Relish (Everyday Food)
  • Brown Rice Casserole from Joy in My Kitchen
  • Pizza
  • Quiche
  • Salmon (I have no idea how I will cook it yet . . . any ideas?)

Desserts:



Snacks:

  • Bread
  • Crackers
  • Graham Crackers
I am excited for this. It feels good to have a plan and food in the house.

However,  I was reading that we should go to the grocery store almost everyday to get fresh produce.  But that does not appeal to me at all.  Ick.  So I hope we can survive with this plan- besides, frozen veggies are almost as good as fresh, right?  Especially when the fresh produce is coming from across the world. . . . (although I suppose I shouldn't be buying that food anyway . . .100 miles?)  Hmm.  

What is your take?  Go to the store every few days?  Every month?  

Check out more menu plans here.

8 comments:

Emily said...

You're making me hungry! I admittedly have never cooked salmon, but I prepare it a lot and then have B cook it. He's both baked it (rubbed in some dill and lemon) and grilled it (rosemary and lemon). I prefer grilled (and it takes like 2 - 3 minutes so it's super fast), but baked is good too if you don't mind having a salmony smelling house aftewards.

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

yea for planning :) finding what works for your family takes a while. We do shopping roughly 1/week. Most produce will last us that long -- and we also use frozen veggies in between.

Enjoy the brown rice casserole (or, as we call it in MN... hotdish)!

kristen and thomas said...

Angie Osborne has a WONDERFUL salmon recipe. You should ask her how she makes it. It's soooo yummy!!! Happy cooking!

My name is PJ. said...

The Source goes shopping every day. He's retired, but he is at the stores by 8 am daily. He gets first pick of the specials and the freshest produce.

Adie said...

THis is how I menu plan. You wouldn't pick out your clothes a week in advance so how would you know exactly what food you would want to eat a week in advance? I think having enough food for 7 planned meals is much easier! Good luck!

Shaina said...

Seriously? We're supposed to shop for produce every day? Who does that???

I think once a week is good.

Kelsey said...

We made this with our salmon tonight and it was SOOOOO good. http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=93601

Meredith said...

I do NOT shop every day for produce! Every few days at best!